On Sun, 11 May 2008, Jeffrey Martin wrote:
> I agree with the judgment. You can't make a derivative work
> without permission.
>
> OSM and other open source projects give people permission
> to create derivative works provided they follow the license
> rules. If they could make derivative works without permission
> then there would be no way to require compliance with the
> license.

Our problem lies in "indirect copying" rather than making a derivative work.

Does the local council have copyright on the street signs from which I have
copied the names?

These matters have not been explored in Australian case law except in 2 cases.
I would rather seek protection now for our means of collection of the data
which can be argued in a "public interest" way rather than find OSM data for
Australia having to be purged from the database.

Liz