On 18 May 2008, at 08:22, Tom Hughes wrote:

> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>          Shaun McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On 18 May 2008, at 00:50, Rory McCann wrote:
>>
>>> I've just got my NaviGPS BGT-31 and I made my first trace today. I
>>> got
>>> the data off it with gpsbabel 1.3.5 and got it into GPX format.
>>> However
>>> I wanted to clean it up a bit first. I couldn't find any way to edit
>>> it.
>>> I was able to convert it to OSM format using gpsbabel with this
>>> command: "gpsbabel -i gpx -f trace.gpx -o osm -F trace.osm", I could
>>> then open it in JOSM and remove some bad points. However coverting
>>> that
>>> OSM file back into GPX for upload was troublesome.
>>
>> JOSM can do these conversions natively.
>

> ...but it's generally considered better to trace manually than rely
> on automatic conversions.

I know, however JOSM is good for getting rid of garbage in a GPX
trace, such as when you are standing still for a while. However to do
that, you need to convert to data layer, and then save back to GPX.

>>> I first tried to save it as GPX format in JOSM, but that didn't save
>>> the
>>> timestamp data, which broke the import. Then I tried converting the
>>> OSM
>>> file to GPX using gpsbabel, but that laid out the file differently
>>> from
>>> before, so the importer couldn't see the points in it.
>>
>> I think the fact that you converted it using gpsbabel, meant that the
>> timestamp info was lost at that point, hence why you need to convert
>> it in JOSM. To do this you context click on the GPX layer in JOSM and
>> choose "convert to data layer".
>
> The data layer doesn't need timestamps - the server will add them.

Maybe I should have mentioned the final step, which the original
poster already knew about anyway.

> The timestamps should be in the original GPX file produced by
> gpsbabel so that should be uploadable, and it is the original
> trace we want, not something that has been heavily converted.

They are in the GPX file, but how do you edit the GPX file to remove
the garbage points?

Shaun