Gervase Markham wrote:

> Both of these things can be true of normal bridges, and there are
> various tags and additional icons which can be used in those cases. My
> question is: why does a viaduct need a different rendering *just because
> it's a viaduct*? I've not seen generalist maps which differentiate.

Ordnance Survey 1:50k maps differentiate.

A bridge looks like this:
  ][
...stretched a bit if it's a long bridge.

A viaduct looks like this:
  ][
  ][
  ][
  ][
i.e. several "piers" are actually marked on, though only as
illustration, not at the real location of the piers, which would be
unreadable at 1:50k. (In fact, the piers are joined together in a
pointy fashion not very well suited to ASCII illustration.)

I don't really have an opinion on bridge vs viaduct tagging, nor the
difference between one or the other: I post merely for enlightenment.

cheers
Richard