On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Andy Allan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Other words *could* be mapped into the same numbers. But since we can
> see quite clearly that there are more than 10 types of administrative
> boundaries in the world, and different people have different opinions
> as to which are equivalent, what advantage is there in trying to
> shoe-horn them into such a narrow set? And can anybody, in advance,
> name every boundary type in the entire world and get the inter-nation
> equivalence correct and uncontroversial? I think not.

Because 99% of applications don't care the slightest how the internal
subdivisions of some random country in the world compare to those in
england. All renderers care about is "is boundary A more or less
important than boundary B". Numbers work perfect for this and that's
why they're used.

There is absolutely no implication that admin_level=4 is the same
everywhere. We know it isn't but we do know it's within a country,
because countries are admin_level=2. Just like highway=tertiary is not
the same everywhere in the world, but customised to the local
situation.

> I think we should store the actual boundary types, and if a user of
> the data (e.g. a renderer) considers that English counties are
> equivalent to US states then he can process them into both being the
> same numerical value. If he considers English counties and US counties
> to be equivalent, he can do so too. So the numerical equivalence table
> should be on the rendering end of things, and the database should
> store the actual factual data.

If you are willing to maintain a mapping table for the 160+ counties
in the world and maintain the megabytes of rendering rules that would
be required to make it render sensebly then we can talk. Until then
let us use admin_level and be done with it.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://svana.org/kleptog/