Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

Making the EU a 'relation' would imply that the same guide lines should be
applied to the other list of examples?
I'm not too bothered HOW things are done, as long as the SAME guidelines are
used around the world? At present 'UK' seems to be at odds with 'England' and
Co as to their relative status.

>> The 'nesting' rule does not exist. We have already had enough examples of
>> where boundaries form different 'sets' of areas so there is no way to insist
>> that the 'admin' boundaries are mutually exclusive :(
>
> Do you have an example if such a jurisdictional anomoly? It would seem
> to me that such a "servant with two masters" would have some rather
> interesting problems.

The examples that keep being quoted are of 'towns' that straddle state
boundaries in the US, but other administrative anomalies are wards and
parishes that do not match the higher level town and county boundaries in the
UK. Some parts of 'Scotland' are classified as 'England' although THAT is an
area where there would probably be local disagreement as to the actual state
of play.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL