i think

  amenity=clinic
  medical=<servicelist>
  emergency=yes|no

would work great,
here in spain we have "centro de salud" (=health center)
wich is public health care.
there is one in each village or suburb.
they are meant to liberate mayor hospitals of 1st aid
and not so important/critical doctor care.

they differ a bit on medical=<servicelist>
so specifing that list would be ok.
they are also emergency=yes

i would add
operator=public or
operator=goverment

to differentiate them from private clinics.

opticians are understood the same way as uk
they graduate your eyes to make glasses.
if you have an illness of that kind then you go to an
ophthalmologist

sergio sevillano

Andrew Chadwick (mailing lists) escribió:
Chris Hill wrote:
Clinic can apply to other medical folks, such as chiropodists and physiotherapists too.

And physical rehabilitation, dementia care, psychiatric counseling... the list might be quite a long one.

I'm coming round to the opinion that the different kinds of surgeries are all just really kinds of what's being proposed in the rather stronger Clinic_(Medical) proposal. But it is probably wise to distinguish a dentist from a chiropodist somehow if they might be the only ones occupying their respective buildings.

I think we should merge everything into Clinic_(Medical), either before it gets accepted or after. Make that mean anything from a huge polyclinic covering many disciplines to small doctors' surgeries and dental practices.

So how to distinguish one sort of treatment or care from another? Perhaps a merged proposal for "small to medium medical facilities" should be something like:

   amenity=clinic
   medical=<servicelist>
   emergency=yes|no

where <servicelist> is a semicolon-separated list of values from {dentist, doctor, chiropodist, physiotherapy, minor_surgery, ...}.

Opticians in the UK are more like high-street shops than medical facilities. It would feel strange to call an optician a clinic too, even if the upstairs consulting rooms are all separate and have something of the doctor's surgery nature. Hmm.