On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Shaun McDonald
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Take a look at
> <http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~random/no-names/?zoom=15&lat=6718359.62403&lon=859.10713&layers=B000
>  >

Actually, those areas aren't the problem at hand - we know someone
needs to go get the names, it's pretty obvious someone was tracing and
there's plenty of names to be had.

The issue is the partially-done, somewhat scrappy areas, like
http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~random/no-names/?zoom=15&lat=6718359.62403&lon=859.10713&layers=B000

I don't know whether Dave or Shaun or Harry or anyone else has gone
and checked these roads. And there's no point in me checking them,
finding that they don't have a name, and also finding on Wednesday in
the pub that all three of them have also checked these roads in the
last few weeks. That would be a waste of time, and its this
double-over-checking that Dave and SteveC are trying to avoid.

And it's a problem that's only really apparent in urban areas with
both Yahoo! imagery and lots of overlapping mappers, so it's a concept
that only really applies there. I wouldn't suggest that someone goes
adding noname tags to rural areas like
http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~random/no-names/?zoom=15&lat=6718359.62403&lon=859.10713&layers=B000
, and if you're not trying to deal with the same problem as we are
then the problem might seem nonsensical to you.

Cheers,
Andy

Cheers,
Andy