Hi,
I'm working on importing the trails from the Calgary Trails Project, at present
I have one large '.osm' file containing 2220 ways and 72136 nodes. I could
import this in one hit, but I feel that it would be unwise and some oversight
is required.

Therefore I was thinking that I could use JOSM to open the local '.osm' file,
find an interesting place and download the appropriate OSM data to a different
layer. Once I have confirm that this particular area is OK I could 'copy and
paste' between layers.

This is not possible because a paste displaces the way/node by some random (?)
amount.

Q). Is there some what to duplicate a way/node on another layer without this
displacement?

Is there another way I could achieve the same partial upload?

Cheers,
Simon.