Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> For one, byway was never proposed or described or otherwise documented,
>> but instead just plopped into map features.
>
> Just like them darn motorways... nobody ever put them to vote, it's
> a shame ;-)

Except that motorways were there on the very first rev (ok, second) of
Map Features.  And they're documented.  And conceptually they're not
UK-specific.

My gripe is that it was put in there with neither discussion nor
description; I never mentioned anything about voting.

> There are probably a few more millions who know what a byway is.
> In contrast to the generic term "path", a byway is something very
> specific in the UK because it has a legal meaning.

You are aware that the OSM definitions of things and the UK legal
definitions of things are not always the same, right?

-Alex Mauer "hawke"