There's the informal word byway as in the English phrase "highways and
byways" which you would indeed say is a minor road as per wikipedia, but
there are also formal "byways". In many parts of England these are
actually signposted with a finger post which simply says "Byway" or
"Public byway". e.g.
http://www.camcycle.org.uk/map/data/original/lle000.192947n52.164140a002m045o_20051224_125455.jpg

I know this signing is common in Cambridgeshire and Norfolk, so it is
highly appropriate to tag it as such when you have the evidence on the
ground to support it.

They are universally rural. They are tracks, yes, but formally public
whereas a track will typically be associated with a farm ore similar.
Most would once have allowed motor vehicles, but in many cases these
have now been restricted (I found one the other day which was only
restricted in winter:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.16718&lon=-0.08336&zoom=16&layers=B00FTF
)

As someone else said, it it isn't relevant in your country, don't use
the tag.

David