On 18/08/2008 09:15, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> hi,
> while driving I would like to do a voice recording of waypoints and
> things of interest. What would a recommended device/method for this
> be? How could this be synchronised with the logging to avoid clicking
> way points. Or can it?

You can do this in JOSM - see
http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/HowTo/AudioMapping

As you'll see, you can do it either with real waypoints or by saying
something, like "MARK". In the future, I hope to be able to recognise a
phrase in the audio to be able to jump straight to it, but for now if
you don't use explicit waypoints, you have to just fast forward to jump
between comments.

The key things when not using waypoints are:
- check whether your device has an accurate clock, and if not make a
calibration (see the link above)
- make a synchronisation point where you can be sure you can recognise
on the track and the audio; make sure you are moving to do this
- the accuracy of points recorded purely by audio will be reduced the
faster you go, so if you're in a car, keep your speed down when you want
to mark something.

As to recording devices, you need a (min 8-bit 8kHz) WAV file, but
Audacity and similar can convert if your device doesn't support this.
You could use:
- a laptop with a headset (poss bluetooth)
- a phone, if it gives you long enough
- Nokia N810 or similar (like a small laptop, can record and take tracks
at the same time)
- a digital voice recorder with a PC connection, like the Olympus series
http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/2581_2620.htm

David