On Sunday 24 August 2008 02:41:29 Christoph Eckert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > i've been using service roads for a variety of small, relatively
> > insignificant roads, such as alleyways between buildings, driveways to
> > stately homes, roads around school/university/hospital campuses and so
> > on, but something else recently has made me wonder whether to use it
> > more: in auckland, there are thousands of houses with very long
> > driveways, sometimes 300m. is this an acceptable use for the tag?
>
> IMO: yes, perfect usage.

Are you sure?

I used to think so too, but lately I have reconsidered.

One way to look at highway=service is that it should be used for roads that we
wouldn't really miss if they weren't rendered at all.  Good examples can be
found above: roads between buildings, short drives to or on parking lots,
roads to fuel stations, etc.

Long driveways to houses *would* probably be missed, at least I would miss
them. So I would myself instead use highway=unclassified, possibly with
surface=unpaved if that is the case.

        -Inge