> I think that is the key here. The illogical use of 'unclassified' in the UK is
> what causes the problem. So 'service' was added as a designation for a small
> road that would probably be 'unclassified' in the rest of the world.

From what I understand:
- "unclassified" fits to ways more often used than "residential".
We have : motorway > trunk > primary > secondary > tertiary > unclassified >
residential > living_street.
So "service" cannot be replaced by "unclassified" because it is not the
"smallest" road type".
Residential and Living_street have specific meanings.
But to be honnest, "unclassified" is really a bad name because it's not
explicit and is mixed with "undefined". I would have choosen something like
"local_trafic" (wherea "residential" means mostly "for people living in the
street, and "living_street" is even more local).

- Service fits to ways which lead to a specific service, and that people would
not use if not interested by the service: parking area, fuel stations,
supermarkets: drivers enter the way with the clear intention to shop, to park,
... (No one would use a fuel station as a U-turn zone.) It fits between
buildings; it fits as back-entrance to shops (when trucks bring goods in, or
when buyers get high-volume goods they just paid for in the shop, such as
furniture; ...)

The main issue we have with tags is that they are not international enough:
- for instance, there is one tag about "public transport vehicle" (from the top
of my mind) called "ptv"_something, and it's always a pain to remember it. And
the PTV scheme does not fit any other country schemes, so no one can use this
tag.
- another example: the famous "living streets" do not exist in most countries,
because the definition is strictly related to driving codes. So other countries
will have to adapt the tag, or to decide not to use it (which is mostly the
case in France), or to create another one.

In these cases, the tags are too precise, and not international enough.

The best way to manage this would be to create generic tags with possibly
slightly different meanings in different countries (we have different speed
limits in different countries...) This has been managed with "primary /
secondary / tertiary", which are not "state_managed / couty_managed /
city_managed" but more generic.

I think it may be a good idea to create a task-force with few leaders (3 ?),
and 3 active contributors per COUNTRY (with at least one living in a big city,
and another one in countryside), who would redefine the tags. As said, it's
going to happen anyway some time.
I also think that a common tags set for all countries just cannot be feasible.