Hi,

> Left/Right Scheme
> -----------------
>
> I propose that it be possible for features to be tagged using a generic
> left/right scheme, with left and right being relative to the direction
> of the way.

I find that this only makes sense when what is left and what is right is
discernible *without* reference to the actual direction of the way.

E.g. rivers: We have agreed to always tag them in the direction of the
flow. So when I'm there tagging something which is on one side of the
river, I *know* whether it is left or right, or vice versa, if I look up
the way in the database and it is tagged to have a towpath on the left
then I *know* where the towpath will be without even looking at the
lat/lon of the nodes. Even the general public will be able to use the
information that there is something on the "left hand side" of a river.

On the other hand, when tagging stuff that is to the left and right of a
road or footpath, there is no way to know which direction it will have
in the database. There is no widely agreed general rule on what
constitutes the left side of a road and what the right side. I strongly
dislike using "left" and "right" in such a situation where direction is
arbitrary.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"