On Sunday 31 August 2008, robin paulson wrote:
> i agree with your points frederik - left and right are somewhat
> subjective and not obvious.
>
> someone suggested a while back on talk, that once a way is drawn, we
> don't allow it's direction to be changed and for one way streets, we
> use oneway=-1 if it is pointing in the wrong direction. this could be
> enforced for any tags (including incline) that rely on the direction
> of the way.
> this would completely negate any issues of changing the direction of
> ways
>
> this could be done at a suitable bump in API, and the command removed
> from the available list, so non-compliant editors can't reverse a way

This could be very annoying if you're making a way for an area and at
the end suddenly remembers that you should have done it clockwise and
not anticlockwise.

Frankly, I don't get why these left-right tags are such an issue. it
should be just basic knowledge for the mappers that they should be very
careful when reversing a way. It's equally important not to move nodes
in a way around that are tagged for example, or to remember to join
ways at junctions etc. But we don't try to work around these issues by
not allowing nodes to move. This is all very basic understanding, but
still somehow not everyone seems to know this... Why don't we have some
small test to make sure mappers at least know about these fundamental
issues before we let them do any mapping? Just a dozen questions or so
which brings them to the attention of some easy pit-falls.

Ben