Shaun McDonald wrote:

> To confuse you even further depending on where you are on the A1,
> depends on whether you can cycle there. For example between where it
> meets the A720, and Dunbar you are not allowed to cycle on it, however
> you are allowed to cycle on the rest of it between Edinburgh city
> centre and Berwick-upon-Tweed.
>
> Therefore for trunk roads, you cannot tell whether you can cycle there
> or not.

TBH Shaun I think I'd say it's more like 95:5 than 80:20 - Edinburgh
just happens to have two of the six or seven examples. ;)

The A1 case is (like the A55) a very rare example of an A road being
built under a "special roads order" which basically means it's a
motorway in all but name. The A720 is (like the A465) a specific
localised case of signing.

cheers
Richard