On 19/09/2008 09:08, David Earl wrote:
> I was just strapping my Garmin Geko 301 (gently) onto my handlebars
> yesterday when the screen went black - as if every pixel were turned on
> - though it is still just possible to see a very slightly darker image
> of what should be on the display. The 3D, satellite and battery
> indicators are not in the main screen but are permanently on. It's still
> recording tracks, and responding to buttons (though it is almost
> impossible to see dialogs).
>
> So it looks like the display has failed. Does anyone know of anything I
> can do other than buying a new one? Has anyone else had this kind of
> failure?

Doh. It was the display contrast setting. The strap must have got caught
over the buttons when I was mounting it, and on the start up display the
OK button pressed enough times (with one crucial press of the down arrow
key) will push the contrast up to unusable. It does require the button
to be pressed _and released_ many times, not just held down, so I am
still puzzled how this could have happened.

So thank you Garmin support for suggesting the answer - and on a
freephone number too!

Relieved Garmin owner,
David