It's a way we need to go.
We may not like it, and it may take months to go, but it is the only
way to save the database against a number
of mistakes, hacks, osm-terrorism or whatever bot, script or other
mass modification might happen. We had this affair with
the Russian guy with JOSM using simplifier, that by accident deleted
many valuable details in the database in a huge area, just using JOSM.
A strong argument to limit JOSM uploads to a limited number of modifications
at a time.
Large changes go best by script, and NEED to go documented.
OSM community is getting larger and larger, and we cannot expect that every
bot-writer
reads (or want to read) the "code of conduct"  you suggested, AND follow it.

"Edits of mass destruction":
I have been experimenting with a text editor and regular expressions
on raw downloaded osm-data (JOSM, save as .osm)
Great tool for changing all street names into "guess what" !!
Set the changed flag, reload in JOSM and upload it will do the job.

The system I proposed will delay the execution of script by a moderate
amount of effort, namely that to document it on a central place,
available to everyone. It also allows
the system to create an unique identifier per mass modification allowing
them to easily be reverted. (If done fast enough).
Not all I suggested needs to be done at once, however:

- Let's start with limiting JOSM and Merkaartor to a reasonable number
of uploads per manual upload action. This would prevent the
errors of the type "select all" plus "shift 1 km" or the "edits of mass
destruction" type
 to get uploaded. It also would get rid of those just fake editing to get their
name on top of
the lists.
- Then allow the API to refuse uploads bigger then say 500 edits at a time,
unless
 a assigned username is delivered by the webform script accepting the
documentation.

These two measures would assure that no faulty mass edit will go hidden behind
a common username such as AND (read: yours), who contributes valuable data
normally.

Gert