"Tristan Scott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> If it were up to me (dicatorships are so much swifter to deal with
> things...)
> * maxspeed should be the only tag. Therefore you can't contradict
> yourself/others (or update one to 40mph, or not catching because it's not
> normal, maxspeed:mph is still 30 you end up with broken data)
> * "mph" is the only permittable suffix (or a SHORT fixed list added to map
> features), therefore parsing is simple. If Mph / MilesPerHour / mp/h /
> yard/minute / walk / et al is allowed then parsing becomes either impossibly
> (inf types of value) difficult, or becomes easy (if it's not all numeric,
> ignore it).

The list doesn't need to be very short, but it needs to be defined
somewhere.  Then, any application that uses the data can be taught how
to deal with it.

Then Map Features needs to specify that maxspeed is a speed
measurement and link to the table of speed units.

Then Maplint can be extended to recognize tags that require a speed
unit and it can warn if there is none.

Matthias