I think it is the greater use of vector data that is one of the issues that
is freaking the commercial players out at the moment. I have seen Ordnance
Survey licences for web services that say clearly 'no vector data', but as
formats move to higher semantic formats how can they avoid it. Their
products will fall behind if people can't transfer vector descriptions to
the client machine?

For the share-alike licence the distinction between a database and something
like svg that can be reverse engineered into a database again is small. For
the share-alike and PD it could be argued using vector data is an asset
because it makes the data re-useable. The only limitation is that one should
not reverse engineer a new DB outside the rules of share-alike from a
share-alike DB using this method, however neither PD nor share-alike suffer
from the secrecy problem that commercial providers have. Fun and games!

Regards,

Peter