[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> The key seems to be individually accessible in a systemic way.
>
> To me this implies attributes (columns) and tuples (rows of one or
> more related attributes) that can be accessed.
>
> A bit map would not be a database, but XML, csv, xls, shape files
> would.  The interesting distinction may be vector data that is not
> organized in a direct searchable fashion - so, would svg (for example)
> be a database?  Hmmmm...

Definitely. Searching an SVG or any XML file can be done the same way
you would search a relational table with no index - by accessing
each data item and examining it.

It follows that the designer of the hypothetical "cool T-shirt based
on an OSM map" which is designed using a vector drawing program, must
provide her vector drawing files to anyone who asks. Presumably the
T-shirt would be required to include an address for such requests
as well as the credit to OSM?

Jonathan.
           Dr Jonathan Harley   .
                                .   Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            Zac Parkplatz Ltd   .   Office Telephone: 024 7633 1375
            www.parkplatz.net   .   Mobile: 079 4116 0423