On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Andy Allan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On the other hand, putting the information directly on the street
> limits the ability to produce useful things like maps with numbers on
> the building outlines. So I'd say we should go for "numbers on houses"
> (e.g. Karlsruhe scheme), and downgrade using post-processing to
> "numbers on streets" whenever there's such desire / technological
> limitations.

since the house number (or flat number within a block) is an attribute
related to both the house location *and* the containing street or
block, it seems natural to use a relation to gather the data.

one problem is that the accuracy of our tagging is exceeding the
granularity of openstreetmap's data model (roads are not
one-dimensional) so things like tagging pavements (sidewalks), houses
set back from the street and bus stops are bound to be problematic.
the dilemma is whether to tag locations accurately (bus stops off the
road, houses are polys, train stations are polys / have multiple
exits) or "topologically" (bus stops part of way, house numbers on the
way, train stations are points which all the lines go through). the
karlsruhe schema is clearly in the "accurate" camp :-)

cheers,

matt