Frederik Ramm schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> paul youlten wrote:
>> The difference between pubs and restaurants is a getting a bit
>> blurred. But not so much between pubs and cafes.
>
> [interesting details]
>
>> If a cafe or
>> restaurant wants to sell alcohol they have to apply for a licence just
>> like a pub or a restaurant.
>
> Are there still proper restaurants in the UK without a license? Can you
> then bring your own alcoholic beverages and have them served? I read
> something about a "corking fee" related to this, but this may well have
> been from 20 years ago.

Interesting, never heard of that before!

> And then - this is probably a US term - what is an "off license"?

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off_license#Off-licence

As I know them from the UK: A shop (often smaller) that sells alcohol:
wine, sparkling wine, beer (in cans), ...

Usually with self service, not meant to drink the alcohol in the shop.

Think of a very small german Getränkemarkt and we're getting somewhere ;-)

Gruß, ULFL