>>> finally, a request: could you please add postal_code
>>> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:postal_code) as a synonym
>>> for addr:postcode, so i can debug these areas in the UK? it'd be a
>>> pain to go back and change them all :-)
>>
>> I hesitate to support two tags for the same thing. And there are many
>> more addr:postcode tags than postal_code. Has this been discussed
>> somewhere already?
>
> as far as i can tell, the postal_code tag has been used for about a
> year and a half longer than addr:postcode, although i can't find much
> mention of it on the mailing list / wiki besides these:
>
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2006-March/000823.html
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2007-March/001931.html
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=Key:place&oldid=5338
>
> it probably should be discussed. i guess the alternatives are are:
>
> 1) we choose one and start highlighting the other in openstreetbugs / maplint
> 2) we choose to use both, and tools must be adapted.

It's used fairly extensively in the UK.

My extraction script to make post code area maps for the UK [1]
applies postcodes to approx 60,000 nodes.
It seems to be used most in cities (I suspect those cities put
postcode prefixes on street signs). Liverpool has some excellent data
for example [2].

I haven't tried applying the same script with addr:postcode yet, so I
don't know how it' use compares in the UK, but I doubt it's as
extensive as it hasn't been around as long.

Dave

[1]
http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~random/postcodes/?zoom=6&lat=53.95115&lon=-1.25579&layers=000FBT
[2]