Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:
> Lester Caine wrote:
>> Sent: 07 November 2008 11:47 AM
>> To: OSM Talk
>> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] UK Industrial Estate Roads
>>
>> David Earl wrote:
>>> Only if they are public, surely.
>> highway=service seems the best choice for areas that are purely
>> 'industrial'
>> with an added access=private for roads within security areas.
>> unclassified is certainly out of place where the purpose of the road is
>> known,
>> but perhaps THAT is what needs to be defined as a tagging guideline?
>
> A point of note here for the UK. Whether a road is actually private or not
> is not always clear. The import is whether the road has been adopted or not
> by the local authority. Some industrial areas stick gates across the road to
> improve security but that doesn't necessarily mean the road is private.
>
> You will quite often find that if there is a public sewer running along the
> road then the road will have been adopted.
>
> The other point is about permissive access. During the working day, most
> estates permit access for trade. Some have a security station on them which
> further complicates matters.
That is part of the 'private'. Our own estate has a security post with gates
closed over night - but I'd not classify it as private. Many large industrial
areas I attend require signing into the estate and having permission to enter.
So 'private' is well defined here. The estates I'm thinking of around Coventry
and Birmingham have public service roads connecting to a number of private
areas owned by large organisations. The 'private' road systems are quite
complex in areas, but at the end of the day the whole area is highway=service
- except for the highway=primary going straight through the middle.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.5249&lon=-1.69868&zoom=15&layers=B000FTF
A lot of private service roads are missing here :( But the little zigzag bit
towards the middle was as far as I got into 'Expeditors' area ;)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL