Jon Burgess wrote:

On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 13:06 +0200, Rahkonen Jukka wrote:

> In short, I don't think we can give any guarantees about the uniqueness
> of the osm_id column.

Good to know.  I am playing with Finnish and Scandinavian data only and I set
keep PostGIS using WITH_OIDS as default and thus I get primary keys
automatically.  Not really a problem for me, but those who are playing with
more data and perhaps have a remote database without db-admin rights need to
create the primary key field themselves.  Primary key is compulsory for many
uses.  But knowing the situation helps.

>> - There are some features that are not imported at all by the new
>> version. At least areas with tag shop=supermarket and no other tags
>> except name (way 4881398). It does not appear on Mapnik map either, so
>> the program works for me in the similar way than in Mapnik slippy map
>> production.

> I don't think the 'shop' tag has ever been included in the list of
> imported tags. It is definitely not being rendered by the current
> osm.xml file.

Right, did not remember that shop wan one of those extra tags that was added to
osm2pgsql.exe. It is possible to read map features page so that giving
shop=supermarket as an area is supported, but not all shop=something.
Osmarender seems to render it. For on-demand rendering it would be more simple
to keep all shops as points and perhaps colour the building according to
building=shop or building=commercial or the like. But I have understood that
now I can just edit the default.style file for having some own tags, for
example max_speed if I'd like to colour highways according to that.

>> - Combination highway=[any type], area=yes comes now correctly as
>> polygon, while they used to be lines.
>> - Major part of differencies in number of line features are due to
>> riverbanks and highways marked with area=yes tag.  They get now
>> correctly converted into polygons and can be found there.

> This is one of several new features introduced since the last time the
> Windows version was built. Another big feature is the support for diff
> imports.

>> For me it looks like it is safe to use the new osm2pgsql.exe, but only
>> in slim mode.

> Thanks for doing the testing.

Thanks for compiling.  By the way, the final report is missing now, that used
to look like this

Node stats: total(2658737), max(312060206)
Way stats: total(175231), max(28408381)
Relation stats: total(836), max(51578)

-Jukka Rahkonen-