Hi,

>> to disable specific tests. If other variants (like unnamed=yes) or
>> other namespaces for annotations (like the internal namespace) show
>> up prominently enough I'll update maplint again to support those
>> tags too.
>
> I think, we, as validation tools developpers/maintainer, have a
> risponsability on the usage of users that we should handle with care.
>

> The fact that maplint, or even my validator tool, makes use of
> several different tags for the same purpose will inevitably lead to
> confusion into the DB (and users mind) : Having different tags for
> the same meaning is IMHO a "very" bad idea
I agree, but...

> For instance, the fact that maplint supports noname=yes and the
> proposed is bad.
noname and validate are not really the same thing. "noname" say that
something does not have a name. The validate namespace is a lot more
universal in its goal. It aims to create a namespace for the selective
disabling of all possible valiation tests.

> The more is not the best.
Of course not. I certainly don't want to support every possible tag for
"this does not have a name". But only the most common one(s).

> And I would prefere that they drop out of discussion instead of being
>  created "in the wild" and then show their bad aspects too late after
> many have used them.
At least for the noname case the discussion has been going on for quite
some time and now consensus was reached. And so I went with the age old
pardigm of crowd sourcing "Just do it".

> are there anywhere I didn't found where validation: is documented ?
It's documented on in the commit message and the announcement on this
list. It has not been documented in the wiki yet a) because I had other
things to do and b) because I expect that it would get deleted
immediately by some wiki gardener anyway because I didn't wait for votes
first.

Patrick "Petschge" Kilian