On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Nic Roets <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM, Scott Atwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > wrote:
>
>> Perhaps someone who understands how this feature works should add a few
>> examples of ways that have been properly tagged as turn restrictions.
>> I recently added several turn restrictions in this vicinity, and I admit I
>> was quite confused by the documentation, but I did the best I could.  After
>> this discussion I am even less sure I did it correctly.  Perhaps someone
>> could take a look at what I did wrong and it could serve as an instructive
>> example for learning.  I'm OK with being used as a public example.  :)
>>

>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=37.33944&lon=-121.87191&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF
>>

> This one is quite easy to fix.
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/53025
> Just add http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/65529280 as the via node
>
> Here I assume that driving down S 17th, you are forced to turn right into E
> San Fernando. Routing software will not evaluate staying on S 17th, because
> it becomes an oncoming oneway.
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/53021
> So the only thing to prevent is a left turn into Arroyo Way. So change "to"
> to Arroyo Way and add 65500440 as the via node. "restriction" can remain
> equal to only_right_turn, or you can change it to no_left_turn.

This is actually quite a complicated intersection. Arroyo Way is a two-way
street that dead-ends at S 17th / E San Fernando intersection, so you can
not enter this intersection from Arroyo Way.

The block of S 17th St. north of E San Fernando is a two way street and the
block of S 17th  St. south of E San Fernando is a one-way street going
north.   The one block of E. San Fernando west of this intersection is a
one-way going west.

Traffic approaching this intersection from the east (northbound / westbound
Arroyo Way) is blocked and can't enter.  Traffic approach from either the
north or south on S 17th St. must turn west onto E San Fernando.

I see you added many only_left_rights, but I didn't implement it because I
> don't know what it was.

There are some intersections in this area that have a barrier across the
right lane entering into a street.  That means straight-through traffic must
turn right or left when approaching this barrier.   Similarly, traffic
approaching this intersection from the cross street can make a turn into the
street protected by the barrier either.

For example, S 16th is a two-way street, but there is a barrier at E San
Carlos.  Drivers going southbound on S 16th St. must either turn right or
left at E. San Carlos and may not continue southbound on S 16th St. even
though the road continues as a two-way street.
These barriers are intended as traffic-calming measures to foil cut-through
traffic and limit cars on the protected block to only those who have a
destination on that block.

-Scott

--
Scott Atwood

Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia.  ~H.G. Wells