Gervase Markham wrote:
> Inventing your own stuff makes perfect sense in the area of your
> core competency.

Agreed absolutely.

> [...]
> I agree that where the bug tracker starts being used for mapping-
> related things, then the boundaries start to blur. But I'd still suggest
> that the only difference between an OSB "ticket" and a "software
> bug" ticket is the method of submission. After that, it's triaged
> and managed in the same sort of way.

I wouldn't have thought so. Some big differences:

- assigned to the community by default, not to the default person/group
responsible for that "feature"
- the bugtracker will not be the core client for managing the "bug", the
usual OSM clients will (Potlatch/JOSM/Merkaartor)
- _generally_ no desire for e-mail communication (if I post a report about
"missing street name here", I don't want to be spammed when someone fixes
it, I'm just being helpful)
- greater need to manage bugs in aggregate than with a traditional
bugtracker

But I guess it depends where you come from. If you're primarily an
open-source programmer you probably do naturally think of it in terms of
bug-tracking.

cheers
Richard