> Changing a tag from railway=abandoned to railway=dismantled just to stop
> it rendering is one of the no-nos in OSM: tagging for the renderer.  It
> would be much better to tag the line correctly and fix the renderer so
> they don't render on the Mapnik map.  Then a railway map or historic map
> could render it properly.
>
> Cheers, Chris

No, this is not tagging for renderer and I think it is perfectly
correct. Abandoned and dismantled railway are two different things in
reality and therefore they should be tagged differently.
railway=abandoned is course of old railway physically present and more
or less clearly visible in landscape. This should be rendered on
general purpose OSM map just like buildings, highways, amenities etc.
just because it exists and could be used for orientation and
navigation.
railway=dismantled is "virtual" feature saying that there were railway
in this place one day, but it is gone now. It should not be rendered
on general purpose map, because it no longer exists in reality. It may
be rendered on special historic maps.

Tomas