On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamp...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Stephen Hope schrieb:
>> It's not hard to test.  When I was unsure if my device was doing this
>> or not, I set it to snap to road, and then took it for a little walk
>> along the edge and then cut some corners in a park, then looked at the
>> tracks.  For my specific device (not a Zumo), I discovered that the on
>> screen and main track log snapped to the roads, but I could also turn
>> on a background data saving log that saved the raw data, which was
>> quite usable.
>>
>> Stephen
>>

>> 2009/1/6 D Tucny <d...@tucny.com>:
>>> I think ULFL's point was that with his Zumo there isn't such a configuration
>>> option, so while it does save track logs, he's not confident that they are
>>> acceptable due to the potential that it is just snapping to road and as
>>> such, copying the copywrited built in maps rather than saving tracks based
>>> on the GPS recorded position... A nuvi could have this problem too if this
>>> is not configurable...
>>>

> Well, the zumo 550 (which is very certainly a somewhat roughetized nuvi)
> has no "snap to road" setting (it has not a lot of options in that
> regard at all).
>
> I did made experiments with the track log. Some of the tracks did
> *suspiciously* looked like a snap to road while others did not. So if
> its useable for OSM or not - I don't know and care (I'm still using my
> WBT201 for tracking which has no maps :-).
>
> @Stephen: Instead of "For my specific device (not a Zumo)" it might be a
> lot more helpful if you would tell us what your "specific device" really is!
>
> Regards, ULFL

Anyways, here is the answer from garmin support site
Question:  What is Track Log and what Automotive GPS units have Track
Log capabilities?
Answer:
A Track Log provides an electronic 'bread crumb' trail of points, so
you can see where you've been on the map.

Following is a list of the Automotive GPS units that have the Track
Log capabilities.

nuvi(R) 750, nuvi 760, nuvi 770, nuvi 780, nuvi 850, nuvi 860, nuvi
880, nuvi 5000, nuvi 900T, StreetPilot(R) 2720, StreetPilot 2730,
StreetPilot 2820, StreetPilot 7200, StreetPilot 7500, Quest(R), Quest
2, zūmo(R)