I started a stub http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Walking_Routes based
upon the Cycle Routes page. I hope this doesn't duplicate anything but I
could not find a landing page on the wiki to cover long distance walking and
hiking routes generally.

Needs work to pull stuff together and the UK long distance footpath link is
to Wikipedia and I guess we should produce a table(s) of our own to show
progress on mapping each route.

I suspect 2009 will see the emergence of proper OSM walking/hiking maps so
its time we got our act together.

Please pull the page apart and add new stuff. Ideally try to keep content
and ideas in the same sort of format as the Cycle Route ones so that we have
some synergy and we don't have to reinvent the wheel yet again ;-)

Cheers

Andy