Tanveer Singh <tanveer1979 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I am currently trying out oziexplorer on my my c320
> It loads up fine, runs fine, but there is a slight problem.
> It does not load up the maps automatically.
> I basically use taho.pl to download multiple map and png files, after
> which I use the img2oxzf3 script to convert the date into the format
> the oziexplorerCE can understand.
> After that I copy the maps to the maps folder in oziexplorer installation.
> After that I fire up oziexplorer, and get gps fix, but even in moving
> map mode it does not pick up the required map. I have to manually load
> the map file for the said area, and its a tad big annoying. from the
> oziexplorer docs it should be automatically be picking up the required
> map file as I move across the regions.
> Anybody got around to that?
> If anybody among you is successful in doing so, please let me know the steps.
> I don't own oziexplorer, and am not planning to buy the PC version,
> but only the Windows CE version. So if your steps involve just stuff
> like taho,pl and img2ozfx3 script etc., it will be great!
> Tanveer

OziExplorer should indeed be able to change the maps automatically. The Ozi .map
file has a few moving map parameters which are used for defining the active area
of map. Usually img2oxzf3 program is creating them automatically but you can
check it. Map file is pure ASCII. In addition you may need to build a map
catalogue.  OziExplorer has an active mailing list.

For my mind the most simple way to get OSM maps for Ozi is to start from
georeferenced GeoTIFFs but for that PC version of OziExplorer is needed. I hope
there will be MapServer based services delivering GeoTIFFs soon after server
version 5.4 is released.  Otherwise the OSM publishing system seem to be quite
ready as documented at http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/RenderingOsmData.
Myself I have been running this far Mapnik system and generated maps for
OziExplorer CE with nik2img.py utility, but the work flow is rather complicated.
There is also a program that downloads OSM tiles, mosaics and makes Ozi .map
file automatically (though using wrong projection) but it is available only in
Finnish.  See screenshots at http://alpo.hassinen.googlepages.com/osm-map