Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:

> So, we have a pile of good intentioned legacy here. OGD carries posts on all
> sorts of open geo data stuff in the early days (Aug 2004) including the most
> important one http://www.opengeodata.org/?p=2 relating to OSM. Over time
> Steve and the others he handed out access to have posted principally about
> OSM but I'd argue it's never been the official OSM blog, it was just that it
> was the only blog where official stuff re OSM ended up.
>
> Should OSM have a separate blog, probably
Blog or announcements list?

> Should OpenGeoData still be owned by Steve, probably
And it should probably return to Steve's personal Blog?

> Should OSMF have a separate blog, well maybe but I hate to think we just
> took a perfectly functional system of one blog and made it into three, that
> sure is going to confuse the hell out of everyone.
Where SHOULD we go for current OSMF announcements? I know it exists, but
had to search for references to it!
ACTUALLY - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSMF is a better web site
for the foundation than http://www.osmfoundation.org/ !

> I'm all for making our external profile more understandable to newbie's and
> the casual visitor or press but lets not get carried away here.
This I think is the problem.

Separate News from Blogs so that the two do not get 'mixed up' - no
problem still using blog like content for news. But contributor blogs
are not mainstream news.

Lots of people probably have www.opengeodata.org bookmarked as
'news.openstreetmap.org' but IS now the time to create a clean news
site/blog with a front page with key OSM announcements, and links to
OSMF and perhaps even local groups own news 'blogs' ?

History has it's place and MUST not be lost, but progress encompassing
the international nature of OSM and creating an international 'feel' to
replace the 'UK project' comments such as we saw recently in the
Canadian press is a must?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL