On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 07:00:14PM -0500, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> Many city governments in Massachusetts publish their parcel (lot) data
> for free reuse, either individually or through MassGIS. This data is
> appropriately licensed for re-use in OSM, and is informative -- in most
> cases, it has addresses which can be used for geocoding.
>
> I'm curious as to whether people believe that this data of this type is
> appropriate for upload into OSM.

Absolutely, this should go into OSM. OSM has developed to include more
and more detail over the last years. Its quite common already to have
whole cities with every building outline in it. So land parcels is just
one more logical step and nothing to be afraid of.

Sure it will be a lot of data and not everybody might need it, but until
now we have managed to cope with the influx of data quite well. Part of
what I find interesting about OSM is the technical challenge of building
a scalable, but still open system. We'll cope with land parcel data,
too.

We should probably only import part of the data at first to gain some
experience with handling it, but eventually we are going for world
domination anyway. :-)

The French are planning to import their country wide land parcel data
also...

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  joc...@remote.org  http://www.remote.org/jochen/  +49-721-388298