Hi

> The Key:access wiki uses the word "preferred" when describing designated.
I can see the point with regard to e.g. truck > routes, but less so for
English and Welsh footpaths.  The case for =designated as opposed to =yes is
probably best made > by one of the proponents of that tag (I think that it's
already been mentioned that it came along later).

I take your point about =designated - I had noted the use of the word
"preferred" in the wiki and found it just added to the confusion. This is
one of the reasons that I have never used this tag - and after the recent
exchange on this list, I think I made the right decision and will stick to
=yes.

> I had assumed that "highway=footway" implied that the physical nature of
the path was such that you could walk along it.

Interesting thought! Perhaps I will also go with that concept for the sake
of simplicity!

> Actually that raises another issue (notwithstanding the point below) - in
cases where the legal status is only available > on either a copyright map
(either bought or on the wall at the local council) - it's sometimes not
possible to know what > the legal status of all traffic on e.g. a former
railway line is.  In such cases I've gone with what the signs say on >
> the ground, interpreted in the context of other signs nearby, and resorted
to "unknown" and added a note where it isn't > clear.

I work by default on this one. I know which ways are public rights of way
(in my county), so if e.g. a converted abandoned railway or a towpath is not
a right of way then I assume that all forms of traffic are =permissive at
most and, like you, use what's on the ground to confirm this - again
resorting to a note when unclear.

> I'd certainly find it extremely helpful, and it would also help if someone
either renamed the page or added a separate >
> Scottish section explaining what the situation is there.

OK - I'll add some brief note to the wiki, risk changing the title of the
page ... And hope that there's a helpful Scot out there - as I claim no
expertise on Scottish rights of way! In fact, I believe they may even have
the excellent and simple Scandinavian system of 'allmannsrätt' - clearly the
Vikings were not all bad (:>)?

Mike Harris