On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 04:00:22PM +0000, LeedsTracker wrote:
> > The concept of fair use is something which differs from one jurisdiction to
> > another. [snip]
>
> I know, though the principle is in UK law:
> http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p09_fair_use

That page is a little misleading.  It talks about fair dealing, and
mixes it up with fair use (and other terms).  They’re similar, but fair
dealing is much more strict than the US concept of fair use.

A better place to start than the UK Copyright Service (whoever they are)
would be the Intellectual Property Office pages on copyright[1].
Specifically, the exceptions to copyright[2].  The page on fair
dealing[3] says all you need really:

    “There is no strict definition of what this means but it has been
    *interpreted by the courts* on a number of occasions by looking at
    the economic impact on the copyright owner of the use.”

In other words, we can’t be sure that what we do with other peoples’
works constitutes fair dealing.  Better be safe than sorry and avoid the
bother.

[1]: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy.htm
[2]: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-other/c-exception.htm
[3]: