2009/2/27 Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net>:

> Ben Laenen wrote:
>> There's exactly one way to be sure this won't happen: get
>> approval of *all* the people who've been editing OSM. And with
>> a number of around 100.000 mappers I'm very skeptical that
>> you'll be able to manage that.
>
> Not true (IMO at least).
>
> We have 100,000 _registered_users_, not mappers. Only a fraction of them
> have contributed to the map.
>
> Of them, again, only a fraction have made substantial changes deserving of
> copyright* protection.

And even if you take the ultra cautious approach and say all edits are
deserving of copyright protection, you can still draw a line around
minor edits both temporal and spatial ie: a single edit can only
possibly infect edits made after it, and within say 50m of it. So a
single minor edit is slightly annoying... a lot is obviously a
problem.. and this is where you want all the bot owners, tracers, and
general fixers to agree because otherwise it makes a large mess.

We don't need 100% of users, but we need a very high proportion if you
want to remove any irritatingly subjective legal discussion.

Dave