There's another question brought up by the example below that's
somewhat tangential: Does the group think that short connectors at
intersections, such as a separate lane that allows traffic turning
right (left in the UK, Australia, Japan, etc.) to bypass traffic
lights, should be tagged as highway=*_link? Personally, I would say
that it's a valid use of the tag, but the definition in Map Features
is vague and all of the example renderings and images show them being
used at junctions where the two major roads are vertically separated.

Also, if we accept that short connectors at intersections should get
highway=*_link tags, doesn't that mean that every class of street
needs a corresponding _link tag? In other words, should we be adding
not just tertiary_link, but also unclassified_link and
residential_link? I don't think that service roads, tracks, or
foot/cycle ways really need them, but I can think of places where I'd
tag ways with highway=residential_link if it was a documented and
rendered option.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 08:18, MP <singular...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.informationfreeway.org/api/0.5/*[highway=tertiary_link] -> 1.3mb
> file
>
> Well, these seems to be quite a lot tertiary_links out there ...
>
> For example http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.95321&lon=11.57331&zoom=16
> (not rendered though, you have to use some editor to see it)
>
> So I'd say we should have tertiary links too.
>
> Martin
>
> On 02/03/2009, Andrew Chadwick (email lists)
> <andrewc-email-li...@piffle.org> wrote:
>> Eugene Alvin Villar wrote:
>>  >
>>  > Would adding also highway=tertiary_link be too much? :-)
>>
>>  I'm not sure I can think of any examples in the areas I'm familiar with.
>>  Perhaps that's just due to local road design though: link-like
>>  structures seem to be reserved for faster, more multi-lane road designs.
>>
>>  Not having link roads: a concrete criterion for highway=tertiary? :-)

David J. Lynch
djly...@gmail.com