On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 10:14 PM, OJ W <ojwli...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Do we want to see the slippy-map tileservers becoming a commercial
> battleground for who can make the most money while imposing the most
> restrictions, where currently it's a nice easy "everything is
> CC-BY-SA" level playing-field where tangogps doesn't have to worry
> about enforcing the terms and conditions of 20 different rendererers?

I think you're severely misunderstanding the current situation. There
are certainly conditions on the use of the opencyclemap tiles that are
not covered by cc-by-sa. You can't scrape all the z18 tiles, because
you'll be banned if you try. If you're app relies on being able to
scrape all the z18 tiles from tile.osm.org, then it'll be incompatible
with the cycle map.

Every server that I'm aware of has terms and conditions already, and
they are all different. However, you are right in saying that as it
stands, once you've actually acquired a tile you can be sure that you
have a consistent license.

I don't think it's a problem. If someone makes a tileserver with
crappy Ts&Cs then someone else can make another one with the same data
and Ts&Cs that are acceptable to whichever standard.

Cheers,
Andy