On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 10:18 PM, Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net> wrote:
> OJ W wrote:
>
>> If the cartographers then devise a new license that says "my
>> contributions are more important than yours, I should get exclusive
>> rights over my additions to the map with a paintbrush while you
>> shouldn't get exclusive rights over your additions to the map with a
>> GPS" then it reduces the incentive for people to survey, since the
>> work they do can be published in a way that they can't use or copy.
>
> So to return to the point you have completely ignored, can you tell me
> why you're happy that the (current) licence doesn't require routing
> program source code to be released, please?

I saw that as a bit of a loophole in the license which is unfortunate
but rather difficult to close, whereas you seem to see it as "other
people have the ability to restrict views of OSM data, so why
shouldn't I", i.e. as an opportunity to extend the non-free
visualisations of the map to other areas, specifically those where
systemeD hopes to create a retirement fund by charging for access to
copyrighted OSM maps.

It would be great to require that only free software could use OSM
maps.  I saw other peoples agreement on this when we discussed
someone's 3D viewer for OSM data, and the #1 comment on this mailing
list was "we shouldn't glorify the use of non-free software".

Proprietary routing software on OSM data was seen as something outside
of this community, not necessarily unacceptable of itself, but
certainly something that needed to be discarded and replaced with a
free alternative.

However taking a view on the types of software permitted would be a
licensing problem of difficulty that makes ODbL look like a walk in
the park, whereas the choice of license for images derived from an
ODbL (i.e. maps, the purpose of this project!) is trivial - we can
just declare that it should meet sharelike standards to ensure that
OSM players are not trying to take advantage of each other.