Hi,

David Groom wrote:
> The copyrighting of the data is covered by
> Section 2.2(b) and here states "Database Rights only extend to the
> Extraction and Re-utilisation of the whole or a Substantial part of the
> Data".

That is because the EU database law does not allow you to restrict the
extraction of insubstantial amounts of data, see:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Open_Issues#What_is_a_substantial_extract.3F

Also see the document "gradeDigitalRightsIssues" linked from there.

> I would have thought it would be hard to argue that 2.25% is "substantial",

It is not as easy as that; but I think the OSMF (or we the mappers!)
should write down guidelines about that to go along with the license. I
am especially unsure about cascading substantialness (if you have an UK
extract then London might be substantial but is it still if you have a
planet file?).

Bye
Frederik