On Mar 4, 2009, at 2:33 AM, Ulf Lamping wrote:
Simply saying "we're the OSMF board and we know what's good for you" is
a very, very bad idea to build trust!

But that's not what Steve said. Steve is trying to teach you how lawyers work. I've watched lawyers work, as a fly on the wall. They work very much like hackers, throwing ideas off each other, but they're doing it in an incompatible space. Unless you've got expertise in that space (as Gerv and I have, and maybe others), then you need to be careful about what you ask for.

Hopefully you know and trust the lawyers, foundation, whoever, ...
involved. WE PROBABLY DON'T KNOW THEM SO WHY SHOULD WE MAGICALLY TRUST
THEM?!?

You can't. There is no magic wand to create trust. Only through time and repeated interaction can you learn to trust somebody. And if you've been around for more than a year, you've had that time and those interactions -- if you've chosen to pay attention. If you expect to participate in the process afterwards, then I think your expectations are off.

There were NO!!! introduction of the players involved, no ideas how to
build trust in the community ... (e.g. what's the relation to the OSI
initiative?).

Well, the Open Source Initiative is only starting to dip its toe into Open Data. Clearly it's a complicated topic, especially when it comes to "source code" and "derived works", and "reciprocal licenses" (I prefer "reciprocal" to "virus". Reciprocating is good; having a virus is not).

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog -
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson