On 4 Mar 2009, at 04:01, Peter Miller wrote:
> My main criticism in relation to license Steve is not that you are
> 'evil' but that you have been absent. Your last post in relation to
> the license on legal-talk was over three months go (25th Nov).
>
> Given that you are the only person who has attended meetings with
> 'our' lawyer and that until recently even the other directors of the
> foundation were in the dark we need your input urgently. Even now,
> we have other foundation directors asking questions about the
> license on legal-talk - very strange.

I think it's a mischaracterisation so say they were or are in the
dark. We have for example a working group putting together the SOTM. I
don't know every detail but when I ask there are answers... I
certainly don't say I'm 'in the dark'.

> To help you we (ie the wider OSM community) have been maintaining
> and developing the legal side of the wiki over the past 6 months.
> Few of us have been in on the process so it would be handy if you
> were able to cast your eye over all the pages that relate to the
> ODbL and make any corrections that are necessary. They are all in
> the Open Data Licence Category:-
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Open_Data_Licence
>
> We have also  collected the key questions and requirements onto two
> wiki pages.
>
> The Use Cases page has lists in plain english some of the things we
> want to do with the data and we have had a legal response to some.
> It would be helpful if you could explain the Use Cases to our lawyer
> so he can give answers to the ones where he has said 'I need someone
> to walk me through this one':-
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_Licence/Use_Cases
>
> The Open Issues page lists the key questions to which we don't have
> answers. There is a space below each one where you can provide
> details from your discussions with 'our' lawyer as to how he sees
> these questions being addressed:-
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Open_Issues

Yes absolutely. Grant can you put this on the agenda for the license
call please?

> For your interest my company's lawyer (acting for ITO World Ltd) is
> hoping to have her response together in relation to the license by
> the end of tomorrow. My company will review her comments and hope to
> be able to make that document publicly available to the community by
> the end of this week. She may also give opinion on some Use Cases
> and Open Issues which could be useful.

Great. Are those opinions in relation to ITO!s business or from the
point of view purely of the use cases?

Best

Steve