On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 11:38 +0000, Peter Childs wrote:
> 2009/3/9 Martijn van Oosterhout <klep...@gmail.com>:
> > On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Peter Childs <pchi...@bcs.org>
> wrote:
> >> I've been trying to import the Planet file into postgres using
> >> osm2pgsql, Using the current SVN version, it seams to be segmenting
> >> when processing the first Way (Under Ubuntu Hardy). Does any one
> have
> >> any ideas, or shall I try and import a subset (The UK would fit my
> >> purpose) and try and get more details....
> >
> > By "segmenting" you mean "segmentation faulting"? Tip for the
> future:
> > if you're getting an error message you want help with, cut and paste
> > the message in your email, that way we don't have to read your mind.
> >
> > At a guess you're not using --slim mode and are running out of
> memory
> > (you probably don't have 2GB+ in that machine, right?).
>
> Hmm 2Gb plus swap on that machine (and quite a bit else running), So
> that could be the problem, Surely its easy enough to have an error or
> Out of Memory....  I'll have another go, Thanks

We do report out of memory errors but there are many places where things
can go wrong, some of them are inside other libraries and are outside of
our control. We would need to see your backtrace to identify and fix
your specific case.

2GB of ram is insufficient to process a modern planet dump without using
the --slim mode. I think the the maximum bz2 file you can import without
using the slim mode would be around 100MB (approx UK planet dump size).

        Jon