On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 10:47:43PM +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Simon Ward wrote:
> > They fail to note that if there are no rights in some jurisdiction, then
> > the database is free anyway, and so are derivatives.
>
> As you know I'm pro-PD anyway but one thing that specifically strikes a
> chord for me in the CC reasoning is the idea of having the maximum
> possible certainty regarding rights and obligations for everyone involved.

Greater certainty in one area does not necessarily mean there is greater
certainty in others.  If we remove all obligation to reciprocate,
increasing the certainty that someone may redistribute the database in
their own product (it may be proprietary) without recrimination, then we
lose the certainty that derivatives would be free for all as is the
intent with share‐alike.

> It is obvious that we don't have a lot of such certainty right now with
> CC-BY-SA.

Something we can all agree on.

> we have the questions about what exactly constitutes a derivative vs. a
> collected database, what is substantial, and what is a database anyway

I hope these get more well‐defined, however there are still likely to be
grey areas.  As I said repeatedly in my last post, if you err on the
side of sharing (the most demanding parts of the licence) then you can
avoid that.

> And the answers to these questions are very likely to be
> different depending on where you are

This is something I think the licence should try to balance out, and
does do to some extent.  E.g. the copyright and database rights covered
by the licence are not covered in some places, but may be enforcable by
contract instead.  The licence should define the terms clearly enough to
avoid question for the majority of uses, and not depend on their
definitions in different jurisdictions.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall