2009/4/7  <marcus.wolsc...@googlemail.com>:
> On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 00:11:24 +0200, andrzej zaborowski <balr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>> Sound cool!
>>>
>>> One suggestion:
>>> As this is automated anyway, try to add hints about what street the
>>> houses belong to.
>>>
>>> easy to implement version:
>>>  Simply add a tag add:street=nam to the interpolation-ways
>>>
>>> slightly less easy to implement but easier to evaluate in
> address-search:
>>>  add an associateStreet- relation
>>>

>>> I will download that area one of these days and play around with my
>>> address-seach a bit, okay?
>>
>> Sounds great.  The problem with associating the addr:interpolation
>> ways with their associatedStreet is that the UMP (imported) data
>> generally contains the colloquial street names - abbreviated, and
>> without first names if the street is named after a person.  In OSM
>> data however, we expand them to full names and so the addr:street
>> value often differs from the actual street name - they can still be
>> associated, but the algorightm will be a little more complex, probably
>> will need to allow for a small *lexical distance* between the names
>> (i.e. like google search).
>
> You know the OSM-way of the street, don't you? You can use exactly
> the value of it's "name"-attribute.

Only for new ways imported from UMP (i.e. street and housenumbers
imported at the same time).  For streets that are already in OSM we
import only the housenumers and ignore the streets (manually deleting
before upload)

> Or you can use the "type=associatedstreet"-relation.
> That one works without street-names and is just 2 relation
> with 1 tag and 2 members. Should be simple to code.

Yes, I may do that, however...
Afterall this information doesn't seem all that useful - when you want
to be navigated to a given address (street+housenumer), you don't
necessarily want to go that street, you probably want to arrive at the
nearest point from that house, and very ofter that point is not the
"associatedStreet", sometimes that will be a driveway or an unnamed
living_street or a parking.

Cheers