On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Joe Richards <joefis...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I will be trekking in Nepal later this year, and would like to keep some nice
> GPX trails and waypoints (both on the trekking trails and in the
> towns/roads), since it looks relatively unmapped...  I usually use a windows
> mobile device with a bluetooth GPS but this strikes me as way to flimsy and
> the battery life would be far too short.
>
> What is my best option given the requirements of:
>  * reasonable robustness - ie can be put in the top pocket of a backpack and
> forgotten about for a day, even if I slip over or sling my bag around
>  * excellent battery life, ideally a few days' tracking before a recharge
> (although I could carry other power sources, I'd rather not)
>  * a little feedback, not just a GPS 'brick' - e.g. a display and/or the
> ability to enter waypoint names would be nice

I am a late comer to this thread, but I will chip in.
I have a Lowrance Ifinder Expedition C which I used on some hikes.
the key features are
1. 15 hour backup time if I don't leave backlight always on. This is
with 2 Duracell batteries
2. Altimeter(barometer based)
3. Weather detection system based on atmospheric pressure
4. You can mark parameters while taking tails(good for scounting)
5. mp3 player
6. Magnetic compass
7. Sunrise/moonrise blah blah stuff
8. WAAS
9. Waterproof, mine fell in a shallow pool(2 feet deep). I took it out
within 20 seconds, but no damage or problem :)
The bad parts?
1. Trails do not have timestamp and altitude info, so useless for OSM purposes
2. The car charger cable went kaput, poor design I must say

Since I havent used garmins and all, so no idea about what other
drawbacks this unit may have