2009/5/5 Russ Nelson <r...@cloudmade.com>:
> Any reason not to go through Wikipedia and import everything with a
> coordinate as a POI, with a url=http://wikipedia.org/NAME link, and
> name=NAME where NAME is the name of the Wikipedia entry?  If I do this
> under a special username, then there is no problem backing out the
> import if somebody has a better idea later.

Some notes:
There's already the wikipedia=NAME tag (wikipedia=LA:NAME for
non-english wikipedias, where LA=en,de...) in use in some places, so
I'd recommend using that.

In my experience most of the POIs in wikipedia already exist in some
way in OSM (I know in my city all exist) so it may be better to try
and do some matching with existing objects before adding a new POI.

In Poland I have added wikipedia= tags to all existing places (cities,
town, villages, suburb) without adding anything from wikipedia that
wasn't in OSM already, I'm pretty sure that didn't infringe on
anyone's rights.  The script managed to match 24000 wikipedia entries
to OSM nodes.  Many of the articles had no coordinates but the script
did the matching also based on belonging to administrative divisions,
post-code or the locality code in national registry of localities.

Cheers