Hi. Your file world_boundaries_m.shp seems to be in the old-fashioned EPSG:3395
we discussed a few days ago.

This should produce the shapefile you are looking for
(world_boundaries_900913.shp):

ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" -s_srs epsg:3395 -t_srs "+proj=merc +a=6378137
+b=6378137 +lat_ts=0.0 +lon_0=0.0 +x_0=0.0 +y_0=0 +k=1.0 +units=m
+nadgri...@null +no_defs +over" world_boundaries_900913.shp
world_boundaries_m.shp

regards
Juan Lucas

________________________________

                Hello,

                thanks for taking a look at it.  The output is ~ 19000 lines,
so i'll just
                show the top ~70 lines:

                Had to open data source read-only.
                INFO: Open of `world_boundaries_m.shp'
                      using driver `ESRI Shapefile' successful.

                Layer name: world_boundaries_m
                Geometry: Polygon
                Feature Count: 3807
                Extent: (-20037400.000000, -19929239.110000) - (20037400.000000,
                18375854.709643)
                Layer SRS WKT:
                PROJCS["Mercator",
                    GEOGCS["GCS_WGS_1984",
                        DATUM["WGS_1984",
                            SPHEROID["WGS_1984",6378137,298.257223563]],
                        PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
                        UNIT["Degree",0.017453292519943295]],
                    PROJECTION["Mercator_1SP"],
                    PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",0],
                    PARAMETER["central_meridian",0],
                    PARAMETER["scale_factor",1],
                    PARAMETER["false_easting",0],
                    PARAMETER["false_northing",0],
                    UNIT["Meter",1]]
                CAT: Real (16.0)
                FIPS_CNTRY: String (80.0)
                CNTRY_NAME: String (80.0)
                OGRFeature(world_boundaries_m):0
                  CAT (Real) =               15
                  FIPS_CNTRY (String) = AY
                  CNTRY_NAME (String) = Antarctica

                OGRFeature(world_boundaries_m):1
                  CAT (Real) =               15
                  FIPS_CNTRY (String) = AY
                  CNTRY_NAME (String) = Antarctica

                OGRFeature(world_boundaries_m):2
                  CAT (Real) =               15
                  FIPS_CNTRY (String) = AY
                  CNTRY_NAME (String) = Antarctica

                OGRFeature(world_boundaries_m):3
                  CAT (Real) =               15
                  FIPS_CNTRY (String) = AY
                  CNTRY_NAME (String) = Antarctica

                OGRFeature(world_boundaries_m):4
                  CAT (Real) =               15
                  FIPS_CNTRY (String) = AY
                  CNTRY_NAME (String) = Antarctica

                OGRFeature(world_boundaries_m):5
                  CAT (Real) =               15
                  FIPS_CNTRY (String) = AY
                  CNTRY_NAME (String) = Antarctica

                OGRFeature(world_boundaries_m):6
                  CAT (Real) =              174
                  FIPS_CNTRY (String) = NZ
                  CNTRY_NAME (String) = New Zealand

                OGRFeature(world_boundaries_m):7
                  CAT (Real) =              174
                  FIPS_CNTRY (String) = NZ
                  CNTRY_NAME (String) = New Zealand

                OGRFeature(world_boundaries_m):8
                  CAT (Real) =              174
                  FIPS_CNTRY (String) = NZ
                  CNTRY_NAME (String) = New Zealand

                It additionally tells me on stderr:
                ERROR 4: Unable to open world_boundaries_m.shp or
world_boundaries_m.SHP.

                Thanks for any hints,
                Torsten.

                Am Montag, 11. Mai 2009 12:42:44 schrieb Juan Lucas Dominguez
Rubio:
                > Hi:
                >
                > I'm curious about that shapefile that needs some stretching.
Assuming its
                > name is filename.shp, try to type this:
                >
                > ogrinfo -geom=NO filename.shp filename
                >
                > what is the output?
                >
                > Regards,
                > Juan Lucas
                >

                > ________________________________
                >

                >               Hello Frederik,
                >
                >               thanks for your hint. Yes, i know about
projections.  Actually, i
                > reprojected the rester images of "blue marble" from a form of
WGS84 to
                > Mercaator with an own program.
                >
                >               But as i've heard it, world_boundaries_m is
"defect".  But as an overlay
                >               to represent the boundaries it would be ok.  If
that information was a
                >               misunderstanding and could be fixed with the
right projection that would
                > be awesome.
                >
                >               If i use shoreline_300 instead, the projection
is perfectly fine, but if
                > you try to render it _not_filled_ with a LineSymbolizer
instead of a
                > PolygonSymbolizer, you get some disturbing "plates".  But the
projection is
                > fine.
                >
                >               A ShapeFile contains the "source SRS" inside
it, right?  When rendering
                >               world_boundaries_m and shoreline_300 i used the
same "target SRS".
                >               But the result leads to different positions on
the final map.

                >               Does that mean that world_boundaries_m is
defect?

                >               Is there a way to "fix" it somehow?  Or would
scaling be possible?

                >               Best regards,
                >               Torsten.
                >
                >               > Hi,